As an international student who wants to study in Canada, you must demonstrate your proficiency in your native language to be accepted into the Canadian university. For those who have chosen English as their primary language, the most widely accepted evidence of this is an IELTS score result. Also, having an IELTS score is a must when applying for admission to any university in Canada.
However, there are many methods to learn in Canada without needing to go through creating and completing the IELTS test.
Understanding IELTS and Its Importance
While we have discussed IELTS and the best ways to get excellent scores in one sitting in our blog here, we’ll briefly explain the meaning of IELTS here. International English Language Testing System is an internationally oriented exam designed for English natives or those who are visa applicants. It’s designed to test the English proficiency level of English speaking immigrants who would like to study, work, or be permanent residents of Canada.
The test is split into 4 sections: Reading, writing, listening and speaking. Each of these requires a minimum score of 6.0 and above to get the score needed to pass. Learn the full details about IELTS and learn about the required score. In addition, this article explains the methods to skip taking any test in the language as a student and continue to study at an approved institution in Canada.
Here Are Some Of The Reasons Why Students are Considering Not Taking the IELTS Exam
- It’s not that the test is difficult, but many people fail the test and are then required to pay for the test over.
- There isn’t a refund for fees for applicants who fail the test, and you have to pay a new cost each time you try to take the test.
- The test is typically held face-to-face, making you scared and making mistakes. Anxiety does not aid you in this kind of test.
- You must prepare for the test. Some people go the additional step and enrol in classes and purchase courses to aid them in their preparation, which could even cost more.
- Failure to pass IELTS can mean that you waste more time and effort to be admitted to Canada, and not many international students would like to put themselves in that position. Many alternatives are available to students who don’t want to take IELTS. IELTS test.
Studying in Canada without IELTS.
Other methods to learn in Canada without the IELTS test are as follows:
Get Admission to Universities Where IELTS is not RequiredThere are top universities and colleges in Canada that don’t require students to possess at least an IELTS score to study in Canada. Certain universities need you to prove you can communicate effectively with your English language. They offer their version of testing for language proficiency at school. Students can also demonstrate their English proficiency while starting school. Some schools don’t require any proof of language in any way. Some of these can be found below. Okanagan College
- Concordia University
- Cambrian College
- Memorial University
- Seneca College, Toronto
- University of Regina
- University of Saskatchewan
- University of Winnipeg
- Brock University
- Carleton University
You can get an English Proficiency Certificate from Canada Students from Canada who have finished all their classes in the English language can get the English competency certificate at their schools. They are not required to take IELTS and any other English test vocabulary.
Complete an English Language Course Online: It is simpler to take an online English course than IELTS. Therefore, instead of showing the IELTS Score, you could complete these courses and then present them as proof of proficiency in English.